Grab a big spoon because you’re going to need it with this hearty Shrimp and Bacon Corn Chowder. Shrimp and bacon team up together in this must-have on a cold winter night. It’s another one of my family’s favorite comfort foods! The ingredients are simple and are items that I usually have on hand in my pantry and fridge. Last week my grocery store had a stock up sale on canned goods, so needless to say I stocked up. I bought over 30 cans of corn so I definitely had some on hand for this recipe.
Pin it to your boards and SAVE it for later!
Follow The Mom Who on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
I am a big fan of making homemade soups and chowders. My family loves it. A few years ago, my husband tried to make homemade clam chowder. He bought the ingredients and made it himself. He made too much and ended up freezing half of it. It wasn’t until a few days later when I was balancing the check book that I saw his receipt from his trip to the store. He spent over $70 on the ingredients. Yikes! The chowder was good, but not $70 worth of goodness.
My lesson was to never let my husband grocery shop for ingredients when expensive seafood is on the list.
Thankfully this Shrimp and Bacon Corn Chowder will not cost you $70. Whew!
This soup is such a great comfort food and a delicious dinner to serve your family any night of the week especially on a cold night. Everyone will love the savory flavor of the bacon with the shrimp, along with the sweetness of the corn. It has the perfect texture with its creaminess and chunkiness.
Tips for making this recipe
► Replace the scallion on top with some parsley.
► Using thick cut bacon is better. Who doesn’t like more bacon?!
- 2-3 large potatoes
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Corn
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon granduals or powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook potatoes for 7-8 minutes in boiling water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown. Remove the bacon. Drain on paper towels. Add onion and garlic to the bacon greased pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- After the potatoes are done, drain.
- In a large pot, cook the corn, potatoes, onion and garlic (without the grease), bouillon, salt and pepper until corn and potatoes are tender. Add the 1 ½ cup of milk.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and ¼ cup of milk and then add that to the soup. Cook until bubbly. Add the shrimp and half of the bacon. Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Serve in a bowl and crumble some bacon and some chopped scallions over the soup.
► Using thick cut bacon is better. Who doesn't like more bacon?!