Lasagna is one of my kids’ favorite foods. I love it too. All of that cheesy, goodness makes my mouth water when I talk about it. Many times I am pressed for time in the evenings. Three kids, need I say more?! One night I planning on making lasagna, but as I am getting ready to make it I realized that I didn’t have any noodles of any kind. The closest thing that I had was won-ton wrappers.
So I called Nicole and Emily to the kitchen to help me concoct a new recipe. They are my kitchen helpers and are geniuses when it comes to new food recipes. I definitely need to share our recipe for oven roasted potatoes sometime. Anyways, we came up with these delicious Lasagna Cupcakes. We’ve made them twice since then.
Pin it to your favorite food board and SAVE it for later!
Follow The Mom Who on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
These Lasagna Cupcakes have all of the classic lasagna elements with layers of meat, cheeses, and pasta. The Italian sausage adds that little bit of spice that makes it super delicious!! They’re so easy to make and they’re conveniently made into single serving portions so if by chance you need to take them on the go, they’re less messy than regular lasagna.
Plus, miniature food always tastes better, right?
- ~~Meat Sauce~~
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella, plus more for topping
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- ¾ cup part-skim ricotta
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 package wonton wrappers (at least 48)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Meat sauce: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until it shimmers. Add the garlic and onions, sprinkle with a little salt and sauté until softened but don’t brown it.
- Add the sausage and brown it, typically 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, as well as a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir to combine and simmer uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow the meat sauce to cool, about 15 minutes. As the meat sauce is cooling, prepare the ricotta filling.
- For the ricotta filling: Stir together the mozzarella, Parmesan and ricotta cheeses. Season a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper and set aside.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Take your cupcake pan and spray the cups with cooking spray. Place a wonton wrapper in each cup.
- Drop about 1 teaspoon of meat sauce into the bottom of each cup on top of the wonton. Then add 1 teaspoon of ricotta filling. Then cover with another wonton wrapper, rotating it about 90-degrees so that the corners of the first wrapper and the second wrapper aren't right on top of each other. Repeat this until you've built three layers total. Finish each cupcake with a spoonful of meat sauce, a little shredded mozzarella and pinch of grated Parmesan.
- Pop them into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let them rest for 10 minutes. After resting they should slip out of the muffin tin easily.