Over the weekend I was scrounging the internet for a gluten free dessert recipe. Something. Anything, so I wasn’t tempted by Emily’s birthday cake or Easter candy or Hershey’s Sundae Pie. My search came up empty for 2 reasons. One being that I am picky and the second being that most called for ingredients that I don’t have. I refuse to by the ingredients needed in many gluten free desserts just for me to spend $7-$10 on 1 item that I’ll use once. No thank you! I don’t need, well definitely don’t need it, or want it that bad. So I decided to make my own recipe using things I had. Hmmmm….is this how recipes are made?!
I made Chex Cereal Bars. They are similar to Rice Krispies Treats, but made with Chex cereal since it is Gluten Free.
You’re probably thinking “I think something like that already exists.” You’re right, but for that a whole day I left myself believe that I invented it. I mean come on. It was my first gluten free recipe that I made on my own without a recipe to look at and I was going to treasure that.
I have to tell you and maybe gloat for a few seconds that I think that they taste better than a homemade Rice Krispies Treat. I’m not saying that just because I made it, but my husband and kids ALL agree.
Guess what? I’m sharing the recipe with you all so you can try it too.
- 6 cups of Chex Rice Cereal
- 1 pack of large Marshmallows (10 oz. package)
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter
- Spray 13x9 inch baking dish or pan with cooking spray. (Use a 9x9 inch pan if you want thicker bars. )
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the pot and reduce heat to low.
- Melt all of marshmallows and then remove from heat.
- Add half of the Chex cereal and stir. Then add the rest of the Chex cereal and stir again making sure it is mixed well and all of the cereal is covered in marshmallow.
- Now empty the mixture into the pan and spread evenly with a spatula or your hands that are sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and ENJOY!