Pin it to DESSERT board and SAVE it for later!
Follow The Mom Who on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Without further ado, I present to you Gluten-free Sugar Cookies. These cookies are soft and moist. They practically melt in your mouth. The frosting adds a little bit more sweetness to the cookies. You can never go wrong with frosting, right?
TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
► THE SPRINKLES and FROSTING: Adding sprinkles is optional. Also, you can tint the frosting with some food coloring.
► XANTHAN GUM: Omit the xanthan gum if your flour already has xanthan gum in it.
- ~For the cookies~
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum (leave out if your gluten free flour already contains it)
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar (10x sugar)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg , beaten ( room temperature)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. half and half
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- food coloring (optional)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients of the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar. Whisk them together well.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the cream cheese, butter, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the contents of the cream cheese mixture into your flour mixture bowl. Mix well. It’ll be like a cornmeal look to it.
- Now knead the mix together with your hands. A smooth dough will form. Form the dough into a large ball.
- Take a piece of the dough and form it into a 2 inch ball.
- Place your dough balls onto your cookie sheet. Take a fork and push down on each of the dough balls while making a crisscross pattern.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Remove from oven and let cool before adding the frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, and half and half until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, salt, and food coloring (optional), and beat until fluffy again.
- Spread over cooled cookies and add sprinkles (optional).