Most of us have those recipes that our moms made when growing up and now as an adult when you taste them it takes you back to your childhood. Cue these Drop Sugar Cookies. My mom would make them around Christmas. Now that I am in possession of the recipe, my girls are able to indulge in these cookies too.
Pin it to your DESSERT board and SAVE it for later!
Follow The Mom Who on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
These cookies are so soft, moist and so delicious. They have the perfect amount of vanilla flavor that makes it hard to eat just one. Most sugar cookies are flat and have a little crunch to them. Not these. They are soft and puffy and have no crunch or crispiness to them.
Why are they called Drop Sugar Cookies?
Simply put because you just drop them off your spoon and onto your baking sheet. There’s no need to roll the dough into a ball or flatten the dough once it’s on the baking sheet. They rise and form their shape all on their own.
TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
► THE SPRINKLES: Adding sprinkles is optional. I recommend using colored sanding sugar. Most other sprinkles will melt. Don’t add the sprinkles to the cookies before baking. Add them mid-bake or after removing from the oven. If you do mid-bake, bake cookies for 6 minutes, add the sprinkles and then return to the oven for 4 minutes to finish baking.
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Milk
- ¾ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 Egg
- 2½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- Sugar Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and Crisco.
- Then add the egg to your mixture.
- Next add the milk and vanilla extract to your wet mixture.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture that's in the large bowl. Mix until incorporated. Don't over mix!
- Scoop dough into 2 tablespoon sized scoops and drop them on your sheet.
- Bake for 6- 7 minutes and then carefully add sprinkles to the tops of the cookies. Continue baking for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.