There’s this local restaurant called BJ’s Steak and Rib House. I haven’t been there in years, but they have this recipe called Bongo Bongo Dip (a cheesy spinach dip) that I love. They serve in many ways, like as a dip with bread or on top of a chicken breast.
Have I mentioned that I love this spinach dip!? I only get to make it when we are invited to parties because if I made it for me and my family I would be the only one to eat it. Just the mention of spinach and my kids cringe.
After eating this dip twice (two separate occasions) at the restaurant I knew that I needed the recipe. So I came up with my own version on the dip. I am told by several people that it tastes just like the Bongo Bongo dip.
So here it is:
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 packages Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
- 8 ounces shredded Colby Monterrey jack cheese (reserve about 1 ounce of cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the sour cream and the cream cheese together.
- Hand stir the spinach, ranch mix and 7 oz. of cheese into sour cream/cream cheese mixture with spatula or spoon. Do NOT use mixer as the spinach will turn the dip green.
- Spread the dip into a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with your remaining ounce of cheese.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve hot with pumpernickel bread or toasted garlic bread or whatever bread product you prefer.