Hi! I’m Laura and I’m so thrilled that you’ve stopped by! The Mom Who started when I was searching for a creative outlet and a place to keep up my writing skills. I didn’t really know what I was going to write about and honestly, I didn’t think anyone besides my awesome business partners would ever read it. Obviously I was wrong….
Now, every day, I am welcoming new friends to the blog. While you’re here you’ll see posts that range from parenthood, running 2 businesses, weight loss, being PTSO President of my daughter’s school, celiac disease and spinal stenosis and more…..yep….a menagerie of things.
You might notice that I’ve been blogging since 2009, but there aren’t a lot of posts. Well, the thing with computers and online things is that things can disappear at any time. See what happened here.
I’m a major list-maker, so it only seemed appropriate that I would introduce myself in a list-format.
1. My husband says I’m a picky eater/drinker, but I honestly don’t think I am. Just because I don’t like mac & cheese, hotdogs, coffee, tea, alcoholic beverages and few others doesn’t mean I am picky, right?
2. I am constantly being told that I look like Diane Neal. She played Casey Novak on Law & Order: SVU and Agent Borin on NCIS. I don’t see it, but she is beautiful woman so I’m not going to complain. I am also constantly being told that my oldest daughter is my mini-me. “Laura, she looks just like you.” Again, I don’t see it, but Kassie is beautiful so I’ll take it 🙂
3. I have a passion for writing and one day I’ll publish my own book, but in the mean time I started this blog to feed that passion. I have a lot of ideas and have 2 chapters written. It’s just a matter of finding the time to dedicate to it.
4. I am a small town girl at heart. I live in the house that I grew up in…well sort of. I grew up here and when I was 16 my family I moved 5 miles away, but my mom rented out this house. Then when I was 18 my husband I moved into this house. We’ve been here ever since, but it isn’t quite the same house because back in 2010 we lost a portion of the house to a fire. It was deemed a total loss due to the fire damage and water damage. So it is the same house, but it isn’t 🙂
5. I am the only person in my family who has medical problems. Everyone in my family (mom, brothers, sister, husband, daughters, aunts, uncles, grandparents) is healthy, except me, and that is ok in my book.
In 2011, I was diagnosed with a brain AVM. Then in 2013 I found out that I have Celiac Disease and then in 2014 I was diagnosed with Cervical Spinal Stenosis. They say things come in threes so hopefully that’s it.
6. For 7 years, I had 2 work at home businesses, not at the same time (5 years with one and 2 with the other). It was during that time that I started blogging and taught myself how to market my businesses online & offline.. When my upline learned that I was a blogger and advertising aficionado, I was asked to become a trainer with my then company. I taught others in the company how to blog and how to advertise their business. I don’t want all of that knowledge that I taught to go to waste so you’ll see here on the blog some blogging and entrepreneur tips.
7. According to my mother, when I was seven years old I had the biggest crush on Peter Pan. Yep, Disney’s Peter Pan. I was totally obsessed with him. Boy, I’ve come a long way: from Peter Pan to Adam Levine.
8. I am afraid of bridges no matter what size….this fear started because of a dream I had. Let me tell you, when we went to Chincoteague Island 2 summers ago I almost died.
9. I’ve never been drunk. I can’t seem to grasp the concept of letting myself be in a state where I will not remember a thing. Sorry! Just not my thing.
10. I don’t look like my brothers and sister. They have black hair. I have red hair and freckles. My mom says that I am “the milkman’s baby.” Maybe I am…..hmmm….
The 4 people in my life that mean more than the world to me
My husband, Matt and I have been married for 16 years. We met when I was in high school and he was in college. We were both working at a fast food restaurant. He was my supervisor and I was smitten. I knew it was meant to be when the manager told him that he needed to stop seeing me. He refused and quit that day. I love this man. He’s my bestie. Yes, I know I sound like a teenager, but that’s how he makes me feel. I get all giddy like a school girl.
We have 3 beautiful daughters: Kassie 14, Nicole 11 and Emily 8. The 5 of us reside in central Pennsylvania with our cat, Bart and Otto, our Golden Retriever. I won’t go into big detail on them because there are plenty of them on this blog 😉
I love connecting with all of you. Feel free to contact me with your questions, comments or just to say “HI!” Also don’t forget to stay connected with me on social media.